Why you should do this course:
- You would like to know why you might employ an autistic person
- You would like to know what reasonable adjustments might be helpful to implement
- You would like to know how to best manage an autistic employee
- You would like to better understand your autistic employee
- You feel that having general information and guidance on autism would be helpful
- Pre-learning questionnaire: You complete an online survey before you begin.
- Animation: Watch an animated short film (13 minutes) that shows a day working at the vet’s for the autistic character, The Girl With The Curly Hair.
- Analyses: Read a detailed analysis on each scene in the film that discusses each learning point highlighted in the animation.
- Your own ideas: Think about what you might add to each learning point that has been discussed.
- Quizzes: Answer questions to check your understanding along the way.
- Certificate of completion: Download and print a certificate for your CV or learning development.
This course was written and created by autistic author and founder of The Curly Hair Project, Alis Rowe.
Introduction to The Curly Hair Project
Optional introduction to our work.
Introduction to This Course
An outline of how this course should be taken.
Full Film: A Day Working at the Vet's for The Girl With The Curly Hair
Watch the full film first to gain a broad overview. The film gives you the background for the rest of the course.
Scene 1: Early Monday Morning & The Previous Thursday
The Girl With The Curly Hair is lying in bed dreading going into work at Caring Vet’s. She has been re-living the events of the past few days all night long.
Scene 2: Saturday
The Girl With The Curly Hair goes to the community fair to help out on the Caring Vet’s stand.
Scene 3a: Morning Appointments, Part 1
The Girl With The Curly Hair struggles to multitask when she can’t finish a telephone conversation and another client arrives.
Scene 3b: Morning Appointments, Part 2
The Girl With The Curly Hair attempts to answer confusing questions from two clients.
Scene 4: Operations
The Girl With The Curly Hair experiences social anxiety when she has to go into the Preparation Room and there are lots of other people in the room already.
Scene 5a: Administration, Part 1
The Girl With The Curly Hair feels frustrated when her colleagues break ‘rules’.
Scene 5b: Administration, Part 2
The Girl With The Curly Hair solves a problem that her colleagues were struggling with.
Reflection on what you might have learned.