Why you should do this course:
- Your child is thinking about, or is already attending, college and you would like ideas on how to support them
- Pre-learning questionnaire: You complete an online survey before you begin.
- Animation: Watch an animated short film (13 minutes) that shows a day at college for the autistic character, The Girl With The Curly Hair.
- Analyses: Read a detailed analysis on each scene in the film that discusses each learning point highlighted in the animation.
- Your own ideas: Think about what you might add to each learning point that has been discussed.
- Quizzes: Answer questions to check your understanding along the way.
- Certificate of completion: Download and print a certificate for your CV or learning development.
This course was written and created by autistic author and founder of The Curly Hair Project, Alis Rowe.
Introduction to The Curly Hair Project
Optional introduction to our work.
Introduction to This Course
An outline of how this course should be taken.
Full Film: A Day at College for The Girl With The Curly Hair
Watch the full film first to gain a broad overview. The film gives you the background for the rest of the course.
Scene 1: Getting Ready for College
The Girl With The Curly Hair puts on her makeup and shiny new shoes. She doesn’t want to look like all the other girls, but feels she ought to look like them.
Scene 2: The Train
The Girl With The Curly Hair notices that the train expected arrival time is sooner than the current time that is displayed. She feels confused about why the sign has not yet updated. She struggles to cope with the smell of a banana on the train.
Scene 3: Chemistry
The Girl With The Curly Hair feels stressed that the teacher does not understand why she does not wish to go to Oxbridge.
Scene 4: Physics
The Girl With The Curly Hair sits next to Sebastian. He’s the first boy that’s ever taken any notice of her.
Scene 5: Free Period
The Girl With The Curly Hair bumps into her old friend Holly from secondary school. She hasn’t seen or spoken to her since they were at secondary school.
Scene 6: Biology
There are so many facts and names to learn in Biology. It makes The Girl With The Curly Hair’s brain ache.
Scene 7: Going Home
The Girl With The Curly Hair ruminates about the problems that occured during the day.
Reflection on what you have learned.