Why you should do this course:
- You have a tendency to feel worried, nervous or anxious
- You feel as though your anxiety might be more intense or different from other people's
- You want help in knowing how to feel less anxious
- You would like simple, practical, sensible strategies that can really help
- Pre-learning questionnaire: You complete an online survey before you begin.
- Narrated Presentation: You watch, read and listen to the learning materials.
- Animations: Unique, charming, sweet animations based around the central character, The Girl With The Curly Hair, and her experiences of anxiety in different situations.
- Visuals and infographics: No plain writing!
- Reflections: You reflect on central questions about the topic and record your thoughts in the assignments.
- Questions: Answer questions to check your understanding along the way.
- Notes: Print a set of summary course notes for your records.
- Certificate of completion: Download and print a certificate for your CV or learning development.
This course was written, created and narrated by autistic author and founder of The Curly Hair Project, Alis Rowe.
Introduction to The Curly Hair Project
Optional introduction to our work, explanation of the terms ‘neurotypical’ and ‘autistic’, and a quick explanation of the colours (blue and green) and characters we use (The Girl With The Curly Hair, The Boy With The Spiky Hair and the neurotypical stick figures).
What is Anxiety?
A brief introduction to anxiety and common signs and symptoms.
Anxiety & Autism
A look at how anxiety is experienced differently by autistic people.
Understanding that autistic people might have difficulty recognising that they are anxious and how to help them know that they are anxious.
Managing Anxiety, Part 1
Strategies to manage anxiety, including the importance of structure, living in the moment, and managing anxiety about sensory discomfort.
Managing Anxiety, Part 2
Strategies to manage anxiety, including the importance of having a plan, doing the worst activities first, and The Volcano Concept.
Managing Anxiety, Part 3
Strategies to manage anxiety, including having a routine, the importance of sleep, diet and exercise, and the significance of receiving advance notice.
Summary of the course.